Wednesday, February 10, 2010

10K Race

This past weekend I did something that I have not done since high school - I ran more than 6 miles. That last time I did this I was a senior in high school and that was 8 years ago, and I only did that once a year. While in high school I did run cross country. However, the races were only 2 miles sometimes 2.2 miles. So during training we would run about 2 to 3 miles each day.

During the last 8 years since high school I have not had a consistent workout plan. I would get on kicks and work out for a few weeks but stop for some reason or another. I say all of that to say that I am not someone who has been running 5 miles a few times a week for the past 8 years. As 2009 ended I thought about the resolutions I wanted to make (read the previous post for details about my 2010 resolutions). Working out was at the top.

I have two great running partners. One of the girls I run with (Cam) had been trying to get me to run a half marathon. I kept putting it off and telling her I was not ready. In January she told me about a 10K. I told her that I needed more than a month but she would not listen so I started training. So on February 6 I ran in the Bob Colman 10K Winter Run. The race took place on the Natchez Trace, it was a straight course with no hills.

I finished the race with a time of 1 hour and 5 minutes. I was trying to have a time of 1 hour and 2 mins. but that didn't happen. It's ok because I now have something to work on for the next time I run a 10K. I am very proud of myself to sticking with it and running the race. The same friend just asked me to run and half marathon in the summer. I am still not sure if I am going to do it or not but I am still going to keep running.

This is before the race when I got my packet.


At the finish line!!!

This is my friend Cam. She is the one who made me run the race.
She did a great job.


These are more friends who finished the race!

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Sally! Tell Justin I'm hurt I didn't make the pictures. I'm about 5 seconds behind Cam. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael I would have posted a pick of you if Justin would have taken one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you #2!! Wish I could have been there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome, Sally!!! Congratulations!! You had a great time for a 10k!!! I enjoy reading your blog!! Glad to hear y'all are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete