Monday, July 18, 2011

Abe the Master

In May (I know I am still two months behind) I went to Louisville, KY to celebrate my brother's graduation from seminary. I had never been to Louisville but had heard what a great place it was. I was very excited to make the trip with my parents. It was a long 8 or 9 hour drive but when you can sleep in the backseat it does not make for a bad drive.

While Abe was in school he worked at a hotel and was able to get us a room here. It is a very nice hotel downtown. Abe scored us a room on the concierge floor in the Gatsby suite. The room was nice but what I loved the best about the room was the shoe shining box. I had never seen one before and thought it was amazing. I just wish I had shoes that needed shining. This is the view of the box from inside the room.

When we arrived it was dinner time so we went to a place my mom had read about in the Southern Living Magazine. I can't remember the name but it was a real treat. It is a very eclectic place that has a fun gift shop. You know me, I love any kind of shop. While waiting for our table we had a great time trying on hats and looking around the shop.


This is a view of the inside of the restaurant. I have to stay that this image does not do this place justice. Another thing that set this place apart was the fact that they had toys at the table for you to play with while you waited on your food. Not just that game with the golf tees like at Cracker Barrel but real toys, like toy horses, a "seek and find" game, crayons, and a few other things.
When we finished dinner we took some time to have a fun photo op with the outdoor decorations. There was a lot more stuff outside that I just did not take pictures of but it was just as eclectic as the inside.

After dinner we walked around part of the city and wasted time until we had made room for dessert. We finally made our way to the Pie Kitchen. As I am writing this, my mouth is watering just thinking back to my experience. I wish Clinton or even the Metro Jackson area had a good dessert place that had more than ice cream or yogurt. I had a delicious piece of apple pie and a scoop of peanut butter ice cream. It was so good!!

The graduation was at 10:00 in the morning so we arrived in time to get good seats and did some people watching while we waited for the ceremony to start. The weather was great until 10:00 when the ceremony started. That is when the sun came out from behind the clouds and fried us. Other than the sun it was a great experience. It was all worth it to watch Abe graduate with a Master of Divinity form Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.



Later that afternoon Lindsay and my mom put together a cookout at a great park on the Ohio River to celebrate. We had steaks cooked by my dad along with chips, potato salad, broccoli salad as well as some other things that I can't remember. The highlight of the night was the great cupcakes that Lindsay had made. They not only tasted great but looked great too. Here a few shots of the food table and some of people that came to the party.





It was a great trip! I am glad that I was able to make the trip to see Abe and Lindsay. Now I only have to drive and hour and a half since they moved to Louisiana two weeks after this weekend. Since they have moved we have made many trips to each other houses.

1 comment:

  1. I made cupcakes like those for my SIL's graduation in 2008. They are on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete