Sunday, November 20, 2011

Jar of Hearts

Normally I keep all my posts pretty light and fun, but I wanted to share something a little different this time. I hope you will find it to be encouraging.

I can't remember the first time I heard Christina Perri's song "Jar of Hearts," but it wasn't long after hearing it that I that went to iTunes and purchased it. I really liked the song, and as with all songs I really like, I listened to it over and over. After listening to it many times I started to notice an interesting parallel in the song.

If you haven't heard the song, she is basically singing about a guy who keeps coming back to her and is constantly trying to bring her down with his lies. However, the lyrics also give a relatively accurate depiction of the fact that as a follower of Christ, I also have someone who is constantly trying to bring me down with his lies and to convince me that my Savior is not all He claims to be.

Over the past few weeks our church as been doing a sermon series on spiritual warfare. At the end of the first sermon, I thought about how perfectly this song summed up what Satan tries to do during those spiritual battles in our lives and what our response to him should be. It's not a perfect metaphor, but there are definitely some strong parallels. If you have not heard the song before I encourage you to listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment