Thursday, November 4, 2010

Garden Vegetable Chicken Skillet

Garden Vegetable and Chicken Skillet


Photo by: Taste of Home


I normally don't blog about recipes but after last nights meal, that might change. On the menu last night at the Garcia's was Garden Vegetable and Chicken Skillet. I found this recipe in my Simple and Delicious magazine. On Sunday I was looking through the 6 month old magazine for some dinner ideas and ran across it. I deiced it was time to give it a try.

I chopped all the vegetables a head of time because Wednesday nights are really hard to get dinner on the table before we leave for church. What I really love about this recipe is that you are not limited to the list of vegetables given. I added yellow peppers to the mix and a few more carrots. Next time I am going to add more veggies to the mix . Also if you wanted to make it a little more heart healthy you could substitute olive oil instead of the butter.

Garden Vegetable and Chicken Skillet

1-1/2 lbs. boneless chicken, cut into cubes
1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped

2 Tbsp. butter
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1-1/4 cups water
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

In a large skillet, saute the chicken, squash, onion, and carrot in butter for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper; cook for another 2 minutes.

Stir in rice and water, Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in lemon juice.


This is a must try meal. Let me know what you think!

1 comment: