Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The completion of a much needed update

As many of you know, Justin and I have been updating our kitchen by painting the cabinets, walls, and adding some new accessories to make it more us and less 1980's. If you are just joining us on this journey you can read about what our kitchen looked like before we started here and here.

I have to admit that this project has taken us much, much longer than either of us thought it would take. Alas, after almost 5 months, we are finally done (minus a few little things like window treatments and some other accessories to complete the look)! Let me refresh your memory with what our kitchen looked like when we closed on our house in 2008.


I can't believe we actually bought this house with a kitchen that looked like that. I suppose we were able to see past the dated-ness of it and see the potential it would have after a little love. Fortunately for us, we did not have to move into the house with the kitchen looking like that. We negotiated with the seller to include money to update the appliances. Justin was so sweet and picked out all of them himself and had them all installed before I moved in (he lived in the house for about a month while I was still in Georgia). I do have to give him a shout out for installing both the dishwasher and microwave on his own! This is what our kitchen looked like for the past two years. Still in need of some love but a lot better than what it looked like when we first saw the house.

Just changing out the appliances made a big difference. I am so glad that we were able to make that change before moving in.

Now back to the updating that has taken us almost six months to complete. I am not sure if given the choice if we would take on another project like this. The time and effort was much more than I thought, but in the end we are happy with the turn out and are excited that we were able to do it ourselves. We didn't get any quotes from painters so I am not sure how much it would have cost if we would have had someone else come in a do this. However, if we ever find ourselves in this situation again, we both have said that we will call in the professionals.



I know this is a weird view but I wanted to share it because its the view from the entry way. This is what people see when they first come into our house and look to the right. The blue wall still needs something, I am still thinking about what I want to put there.

I wanted to give you a close up view of the knobs that we chose. We both really like the brushed nickel finish and the simple detail.
This was definitely a learning experience and now that it is all said and done we can say that we did this ourselves...well Justin can say that he did it himself. We are very happy with how everything turned out. We have a few more decorating things to complete before we can say that the kitchen is finished. This should be soon (that is what we are both hoping for at least). I am just glad that we are finally done with the painting. We love our new kitchen and can't wait to have everything in its place and start entertaining again. Stay tune for more updates in our kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great sis can't wait to see it in person

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! you guys did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete