Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Review: The Memory Keeper's Daughter




The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards is a novel that tells the story of a man who gives away his newborn baby, who has Down syndrome to one of the nurses.

I have had this book for all most a year and I had it on my reading list for longer. When I finally got around to reading it, I turned to the back cover to get an idea about what the book would be about. Sometimes I like to judge a book by its cover and just start reading without any prior knowledge of what the book is really about. The cover and the title play a big part in my decision to read a book. As you can see from the cover it really does not give much away about the book. After reading the back cover, I was not as excited about the book as I had been when I saw it on just about every "must read" book list.

I have to confess that it took me a while to finish this book. My interest was not captured at first. I have a friend who says if she is not hooked on the book within the first few pages she passes on the book and starts another. Although it was tempting to do the same, I dredged through the first few chapters and by the end of the book I was pleased.

I think one of the reason that I had a hard time getting into this book was because unlike most books that I read, this story was told through the view of the three main characters. Just when I was getting into one of the characters it would change to another one and my focus was broken.

With all of that said, I did actually end up liking this book. I am not sure that I would ever read it again, but once I got into it, I did enjoy it. The story line was very unbelievable, but I guess that is why it is fiction. I don't think a doctor would ever really deliver his own twins and finds one has Down's and give it to his nurse. Well, I suppose it's possible that some crazy person might do that, but not a person who could go on living as if it never happened.

If you find yourself thinking about reading this book I would love to hear what you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment